At the junction of Arrianou and lasonidou Strteets, not far from the Arch of Galerius and the Rotunda, stands the Church of St Panteleemon. The name is much more recent than the church itself, which has been identified as the katholikon of the Byzantine Monastery of the Virgin Peribleptos, also known as the Monastery of kyr Isaac, its founder. He was James, Metropolitan of Thessaloniki (1295-1314), who took the name Isaac when he became a monk. The monastery was a spiritual centre in the fourteenth century and was associated with the writing and teaching of the outstanding Hellenists Thomas Magistros and Matthew Blastares.

St. Panteleemon's represents a type of church known as the complex tetrastyle cross-in-square, with a dome and a porch. A second dome crowns the narthex, and the ambulatory terminates in two chapels at the east end. The type exemplifies the architecture of the Palaiologan renaissance in Thessaloniki, in whose churches a multiplicity of domes and an ambulatory terminating in chapels now became standard features. This architectural concept sought to create tiered volumes with subsidiary spaces enveloping and emphasising the central cruciform square that culminates in the dome.Of the original painted decoration, the Virgin Blacher-nitissa, saints, and hierarchs survive in the prothesis, the diaconicon, and the chapels. Interesting for the history of the church is the representation of St James the brother of the Lord, the namesake of the metropolitan who founded the church, in a prominent position in the diaconicon, accompanied by hierarchs paying homage. The frescoes date to the late thirteenth or early fourteenth century and combine the monumental anticlassical approach with the new trends of the Palaiologan renaissance. After the mid-sixteenth century (c.1568-71), the church was converted into a mosque and named the Isaakiye (Jamii ("mosque of Isaac"). The frescoes and the exterior masonry were plastered over, a minaret was erected (its base survives), and a marble fountain was built in the courtyard. Early in the twentieth century the Ottomans repaired the building, demolishing the ambulatory but retaining the chapels. The painted decoration in the narthex dates to this period. The church was restored after the earthquake of 1978.  

Saint Panteleimon (Hagios Panteleimon)
Saint Panteleimon (Hagios Panteleimon)
Saint Panteleimon (Hagios Panteleimon)
Saint Panteleimon (Hagios Panteleimon)
Saint Panteleimon (Hagios Panteleimon)
Saint Panteleimon (Hagios Panteleimon)